As the world we knew crumbles, and a new, yet-to-be-clearly-defined world emerges, the creative impulse is rising up in more people than ever before. For many of us, this means we are being called to tell our truths and share our stories. I created this 4-week writing course for people who want to use their voice for good—with clarity, confidence, and conviction.
How you pitch your story to an editor is the most important factor in being published—and there is an art to it indeed. As a senior writer, editor, and author, I know that art like the back of my hand. With the world needing more stand-up and stand-out voices now than ever, I am excited to teach you everything I know!
Who is this writing course for?
Bluntly put: This course is for people who give a fuck and want to do something about it.
This class is also for people who:
- are sick of (or want to avoid) rejection letters
- are sick of (or want to avoid) bitching about the state of the world, and want to take action
- believe that being published is the best way they personally can affect change
What distinguishes the average convicted and aware person from the revolutionary is one thing only: action.
That’s why this course is completely action-oriented.
I am not going to preach writing industry jargon to you, or even utter the words “the elements of style.” We are actually going to do the damn thing—you will actually be writing your query and pitching that bad boy to actual publishers, for the chance of actually inspiring change.
“This is precisely the time when artists go to work. There is no time for despair, no place for self-pity, no need for silence, no room for fear. We speak, we write, we do language. That is how civilizations heal.”
– Toni Morrison, on writing in troubled times
In this 4-week online writing course you will:
- Learn how to craft an impactful query (pitch) letter that editor’s can’t resist
- Discover how to find publications to pitch to that are right for you
- Write a query letter, start to finish, being guided every step of the way
- Workshop your query letter with fellow classmates
- Have one 20 min 1:1 with Arizona Bell to polish your pitch
- Pitch your query letter to at least 5 publications
- Have the chance to be published on wildtimesmedia.com
- Receive a very helpful Writing Resources PDF
- Create writing/editing buddies for life (this is very important!)
Note: This course specifically focuses on pitching creative non-fiction articles to digital + print consumer publications. This is not for fiction or book proposals.
- 4 week class
- Held online via Zoom
- Each class will be ~2 hours
- Ample Q&A time
- Limited to 8 spots for maximum quality time
- There will be required homework each week
- Replays will be sent out (however live attendance is encouraged)
Class days and times:
- Wednesday, July 20 @ 4pm PST
- Wednesday, July 27 @ 4pm PST
- Wednesday, August 3 @ 4pm PST
- Wednesday, August 10 @ 4pm PST
About your teacher
In addition to being a published author with St. Martin’s Press (Soul Magic: Ancient Wisdom for Modern Mystics), Arizona Bell has the added bonus of having worked as an acquisitions editor (the editor who accepts and rejects story pitches) for multiple international publications, including her own, Wildtimes Media. Arizona has contributed to numerous high-profile publications, including The Los Angeles Review, Curve, The Establishment, Grief Digest, Willamette Week, and more. Born a lion-hearted rebel, she has a passion for teaching others how to bravely speak their truth and champion change through the written word.